While bulking meals up with low calorie options such as vegetable soup on a regular basis is a great way to load up on nutrition in general, for those wanting to drop a couple of kilos quickly, replacing the heavy meal with a vegetable based soup is a safe way to do it.
The low energy content helps to keep your total calorie intake low, while the bulk prevents you from feeling hungry and deprived the way you would if you were eating very little on a regular diet. It keeps you full for longer time.
- Recipe Cuisine:
- Total Time (Minutes):
- Recipe Yield:
- For the Stock
- 1 cup roughly chopped potatoes
- 1 cup roughly chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup roughly chopped onions
- For Soup
- 3/4 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cabbage
- 1 cup boiled beans (rajma)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Lets make veg stock first : Combine all the ingredients (Potatoes, tomatoes,onion)in a pressure cooker along with 5 cups of water, mix gently and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Strain the water using a strainer and discard the vegetables. Keep aside this veg stock.
- Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add chopped onions and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add the cabbage and saute on a medium flame for 1 minute.
- Add veg stock and boil on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and boiled beans/rajma and boil again for 8 to 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Serve hot.
- NOTE: If you want to thicken the soup, mix two spoon cornflour in five spoon normal water & add to soup. Cook for two minutes.