Rava / Sooji Upma Recipe
Rava is healthy. It is made from durum wheat, so it has good amount of fiber. That’s why it is digested slowly and keeps your stomach full and prevents you from overeating.
It is great for your bone health and nervous system too. It increases bone density and keeps them healthy and strong. It contains phosphorus, zinc and magnesium which is necessary for the maintenance of a good nervous system.
The texture of your upma depends on the amount of water you add. 1:1 ratio of water and sooji will give you a upma which is grainy. 2:1 ratio will give you a bit loose upma. 3:1 ratio will give you a upma which is like a paste.
As per your taste, you can vary the level of water:
- You can keep the suji roasted in advance in an airtight container to save time in the morning.
- You can even add some chopped vegetables like carrot, beans and cauliflower.
- Try to use Non stick pan so that you can use less oil as well it will not get sticky.
Total Time (Minutes):
- Dry Roasted Sooji (Not Brownish) - 1 Cup
- Chopped onion (Optional) - 1
- Black mustard seed - 1 Spoon
- Chana daal & urad daal (optional) - 1 Spoon
- Few chopped curry leaves
- Oil - 1 to 2 Spoon
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice
- Now heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add curry leaves, mustard seed (Let it crackle), chana dal and urad dal and green chili. Saute it for few minutes.
- Add onions and fry till it is translucent. Then, add salt and 1 cup of water to it and let the water boil. Then, add sooji gradually.
- Keep stirring it continuously so that no lumps are formed.
- Cover it for a minute and let it cook till it starts to get pulpy. Turn off the heat and at last add lemon juice and mix it well. Ready to enjoy.