Upma Kozhukattai Recipe
Suji is a universally acclaimed food for its great taste and healthy benefits. It contains B-complex vitamins, including folate and thiamin besides various other mineral nutrients.
Suji is a great agent for the heart. It protects us against heart diseases. The selenium content in suji prevents infection and strengthens the immunity.
Total Time (Minutes):
- Sooji (Semolina/ Rava) - 2 Cup
- Grated fresh coconut - 2 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds - Half Spoon
- Urad Dal - Half Spoon
- Ginger, green chilli paste
- Few Curry leaves , finely chopped
- Salt, to taste
- Chopped vegetables -carrot,capsicum or cabbage,peas or any other vegetable of your choice.
- Soak the idli rava for a couple of hours and discard the water.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan; add the mustard seeds, urad dal and allow them to crackle. Allow the urad dal to get roasted then add chopped vegetables.
- Stir in the curry leaves, ginger, green chillies and the soaked idli rava. Stir fry for about 3-4 minutes until lightly roasted.
- Stir in the coconut and about three cups of water and salt to taste.
- Stir the mixture continuously and allow the mixture to come to a boil. Once the upma mixture comes to a boil, turn the heat to low, cover the pan. The mixture will begin to thicken in about 10 minutes and leave the sides of the pan. Make sure to keep stirring to avoid lump formation.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat and take it out in a plate and allow it to cool.
- Prepare a steamer filled with water and with steamer plates or idli plates greased with a little oil.
- Divide the cooled upma mixture into 15 to 20 portions forming oval shaped dumplings.
- While making the dumplings, keep a small bowl by the side with a little oil. Rub our hands with a little oil before you make each dumpliing, this will prevent it from sticking to the palm of your hands.
- Arrange the dumplings in the steamer plates and place into the steamer. Steam for about 10 minutes on high heat. Turn off heat, remove the plates from the steamer and allow it to rest for a few minutes before you can serve them.