Spinach Soup (Winter Treat)
Spinach has an extremely high nutritional value and is rich in antioxidants. It is a good source of vitamins A, B2, C and K, and also contains magnesium, manganese, folate, iron, calcium and potassium.Spinach soup can improve your brain functioning level, according to World's Healthiest Foods. Green, leafy vegetables, including spinach, contain rich amounts of beneficial antioxidants such as vitamin E.
This antioxidant can help slow the decline of cognitive ability and mental performance. Your learning capacity and motor skills may improve. The mind can stay younger for longer. Spinach soup made with a little olive oil can help increase absorption of vitamin E.
- Recipe Cuisine:
- Total Time (Minutes):
- Chopped Spinach - 2 Cup
- Milk - Half Cup
- Corn Starch (corn flour) - Half Tbsp
- Oil - Half spoon
- Butter - Half spoon
- Chopped Onion - 1 tbsp
- 1/4 inch piece of Ginger, finely chopped
- 1-2 small cloves of Garlic, finely chopped
- Water - 1 Cup
- 1/4 teaspoon Sugar, optional
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dissolve 1/2 tablespoon corn starch in 1/2 cup milk. Make sure that there are no lumps of flour. keep it aside
- Heat 1/2 teaspoon oil and 1/2 teaspoon butter together in a saucepan over medium flame. Add chopped ginger and garlic; saute for few seconds. Add chopped onion.
- Saute until onion turns light pink.
- Add spinach. Let it Cook until spinach wilts.
- Add a cup of water, sugar and salt. Stir well and bring the mixture to boil. Let it boil for 3 minutes. Sugar helps to retain rich green color of spinach.
- Turn off the flame and let the mixture cool for 5-10 minutes. Make smooth puree of the cooked mixture. Transfer the mixture to the same pan after making the puree.
- Add dissolved cornstarch and stir continuously for 1 to 2 minutes over medium flame. (step 1)
- Add black pepper powder.
- Let the mixture cook for 4-5 minutes. Taste for the seasonings and adjust it per your taste.
- Serve it hot with bread croutons.