Barley is a wonderfully versatile cereal grain with a rich nut-like flavor and an appealing chewy, pasta-like consistency. Its appearance resembles wheat berries, although it is slightly lighter in color.
- Total Time (Minutes):
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup pearled barley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 2/3 cup fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- Bring water to a boil in a soup pot. Add barley and let simmer covered for about 25-30 minutes over low heat. Once water has evaporated, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a pan,cook onion in olive oil over medium heat for 4-5 minutes until soft. Add stock &car rots and bring to boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add cooked barley and let simmer another minute or two. Remove from heat.
- Stir in yogurt and seasonings.
- Serve immediately.