Pearl Millet or Bajra is a miracle millet with iron content which 8 times higher than that present in rice.Other facts about pearl millet nutrition are that it is also rich in protein, fibre, and minerals such as calcium and magnesium.
Consumption of pearl millet will help ease constipation issues and any problems with the digestion as well.
- 2/3 cup Pearl Millet (bajra)
- 1/3 cup Moong Dal
- 2 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and quartered
- 1 medium carrot cut into chunks
- 1 large tomato quartered
- 2-3 green chillies slit
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach
- First, soak the millet for at least 12 hours in water.
- Wash Moong Dal. Drain and keep aside. Drain water from the millet just before preparing the khichdi.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Fry cumin seeds, garlic, chillies and vegetables for a minute.
- Add the drained millet and moong dal along with all the dried spices and salt.
- Mix 4.5 cups water into this and bring to a boil.
- Lock the cooker lid with the pressure weight plugged in.
- After 3 to 5 whistles, reduce flame to sim and cook for 15-20 minutes. Because of this long cooking on slow flame, it is important to add more than adequate water to the khichdi otherwise it will burn and stick to the bottom of the cooker.
- Once the pressure subsides, open cooker and stir in the finely chopped spinach into the khichdi.
- Keep covered for 5-10 minutes so the spinach cooks in the residual heat.(adding spinach is optional)
- You will know that the pearl millet is cooked on tasting or if the grains have broken open.
- Serve this hot along with pickles and yogurt (optional)