If you have a compromised immune or digestive system, it is best to avoid to buy sprouts from the market.To ensure the most pleasant and safe experience with sprouts at home, consider the following guidelines:
- Purchase only high-quality products. Even a single bacteria present in legumes that you are going to sprout can contaminate entire batch.
- Rinse sprouts thoroughly under running water before use.
- Sprouts can be subject to contamination which can result in bacterial growth leading to food-borne illnesses. Be cautious of hygiene factors like clean water, clean place to keep & utensils.
- In terms of storage after sprouting, store the sprouts in the refrigerator. Be sure to remove any excess water, and store in a clean & closed glass container.
- Do not store fresh sprouts for long periods of time. Usually 2 days is the maximum time to consume.
- Weakened immune system should not eat raw sprouts. The caution includes alfalfa, clover, radish and mung-bean sprouts.They should eat the sprouts after steaming them.