Chips & Nachos
Kidney Beans (राजमा)
Kidney beans (Rajma) are rich in Vitamin B1, which contributes greatly to healthy cognitive functions. Sufficient levels of Vitamin B1 help in synthesising acetylcholine (an important neurotransmitter), which ensures proper functioning of the brain and boosts concentration and memory.
It is also beneficial in slowing the progress of Alzheimer’s and dementia.
- 2-3 khakras
- 200 gms cottage cheese (paneer)
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsps red chilli paste
- ½ tsp garam masala powder + for sprinkling
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup kidney beans (rajma), boiled
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Few fresh coriander sprigs
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- Iceberg lettuce leaves for serving
- Hung yogurt for topping
- Fresh coriander leaves for sprinkling
- 1 medium avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ medium tomato, chopped
- Crushed black peppercorns to taste
- 2 spring onion bulbs
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 fresh oregano sprig
- 1-2 fresh coriander sprigs
- Cut cottage cheese into 1 inch cubes and put in a bowl. Add salt, chilli paste and Â¼ tspgaram masala powder. Mix gently.
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan. Add cottage cheese cubes and saute for 2 minutes or till golden brown.
- Roughly chop onion and add to a blender jar. Add lemon juice, Â¼ tsp garam masala powder, kidney beans, some chopped tomatoes, some fresh coriander sprigs and garlic and blend to a coarse mixture.
- To make the guacamole, scoop out the flesh of the avocado and add in a mortar. Add lemon juice, tomato, crushed peppercorns, sliced spring onion bulbs, salt, olive oil, oregano sprigs and coriander sprigs and grind to a coarse mixture using a pestle.
- Arrange the kidney beans mixture on a serving plate and place some lettuce leaves on top. Add the sauteed cottage cheese, sprinkle remaining chopped tomatoes and some guacamole. Repeat the process till all the ingredients are used up.
- Break the khakra into large pieces and add. Top with hung yogurt, sprinkle coriander leaves and garam masala powder.